Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Journal #5 Blood Wedding

It seemed to me that the Wife and the Mother-in-law were characterized a lot by the dialogue the use and how poetic is sounded. I found this interesting for several reasons. First of all I thought that it was very stereotypical to make the lady characters more poetic because that is as stereotype that exists in America today. However I am not sure that it existed in Lorca was writing this, so it is entirely possible that during his time women were thought of as not being able to write well. If this is true then Lorca would be critiquing the society he was living in. If this is not true then Lorca would simply be emphasizing what the culture already believes. I don't know enough of Spanish culture to make a guess. This effects my opinion of the women of the book because they seem more educated when they talk in a poetic style. It feels to my that when someone speaks with a sense of poetry that they not only know what they want to say but they manipulate it in a way to convince other people. So in a sense I distrust them a bit, but at the same time I trust them more than I would a different character. The thing I noticed is that they seem very caring and concerned about the well being of the Boy like I think would be stereotypical of a mother. Unfortunately I do not know enough about Lorca's home life to know if he had an effective mother or not. So I think this is what he thinks of as a good mother and whether or not it reflects his life or is a critique of bad parents I do not know. Overall though it makes me trust the character more because it makes me think of my mother and that makes me feel a stronger connection to the character.

No comments:

Post a Comment