Thursday, May 3, 2012

Journal #6 Blood Wedding

The character that seems to be the most miserable is Leonardo. However I would like to clarify that this doesn't mean he has experienced the most misery, it just means that he is the most miserable. For instance I think that the Bride is going through more misery than Leonardo, but Leonardo lets his misery affect him more than the Bride lets her misery affect her. Leonardo openly expresses his misery to the other characters when he says "Two oxen and a tumbledown hut are almost nothing. That's what hurts." (pg. 46) his pain is understandable though, not being able to marry the person you love because of social status would be a pretty lame situation to be in. Does he need to act out in such a way though? I don't think so. I think his misery should be channelled into doing something effective and worthwhile for society rather than just wallowing in self pity. That is why I think Leonardo is the most miserable character. Like I said earlier though, that doesn't mean he is experiencing the most misery. I think that the Bride is experiencing the most misery. When she says "And it draws me under, and I know I'm drowning, but I follow" it shows to me that she is experiencing a deep pain and yet she is continuing on with her life and trying to move past it. I have more respect for the Bride because she is at least trying to make a positive out of a negative whereas Leonardo is just being a square. Having said that though I do respect Leonardo for trying so hard, because if the world didn't have any Leonardos we wouldn't have very many hard workers. If it was a world full of Brides we might not progress as far as we should. What stops the characters from pursuing what would end their misery is societal limitations. It is not appropriate for a man to go after an engage woman. I have no idea why Lorca would do this, honestly I am pretty sure it is because he read a news article with this story in it so he wrote a play.

No comments:

Post a Comment