Monday, May 7, 2012

Journal #8 Blood Wedding

Literally the atmosphere becomes murky in act 3 when compared to act 2. In act 3 scene 1 the atmosphere is described as murky. As a reader this makes me think that the plot is supposed to get more confusing, or the characters are about to become more confused. Or I am about to get confused. That's what murky makes me think of, gets me set up for confusion. Anyways the part that I found was interesting between act 2 and act 3 was that both being at night. I think that it is very significant that they both begin at night or a couple of reasons. The first is that night is usually when people sleep, I don't know of many nocturnal people, and sleep is a biological need to perform well, so the fact that Lorca is depriving these characters of sleep may lead to the confusion. Who knows, maybe the bride wouldn't have run off if she had a good nights sleep. Maybe Leonardo and the Bridegroom wouldn't have killed each other if they had had a good night's sleep. This makes me wonder if maybe Lorca has sleeping problems. Maybe he had insomnia and spent countless nights just staring at the moon and it haunted him. So he wrote a book in which the moon is an actual character, reflecting his own life. I guess on large scale the changes in the set change the way I see the play, but what they really do is make me think about Lorca's own life. And through thinking about Lorca's life I think about the atmosphere of the play. So it's kind of the long way to it. Anyways overall I think that the set changes make everything more confusing because the atmosphere is "murky" and I would love to see it performed live.

No comments:

Post a Comment