Monday, May 7, 2012

Journal #7 Blood Wedding

Lorca adds a lot of youth to the second act and I think that it serves several purposes to add youth. The first being from a business perspective. By adding youth, the youth of the population will feel more of a connection and then will be more likely to buy it. It's a smart idea to add youth to the play because he more copies he sells the more money he makes, and who wouldn't want more money? Another reason why I think Lorca added youth is because he is dealing with some topics that seem kind of cliche in some ways, but Lorca writes them in a different manner. So the youth is just kind of a subtle reminder to the reader that Lorca is dealing with old topics in a young and fresh way. Otherwise without the addition of the youth the reader might just think that people falling in love and then dying or committing suicide is boring because there is a million books about people that fall in love and then die. Basically I think Lorca added youth to remind people that he wasn't being cliche. The overall impact that the addition of youth has on my reading and interpretation of the play is it makes me make more connections to the play than I normally would. When I was little and I read books with older characters I really felt like I had no connection to them and some of the meaning was lost. But now that I am older I feel like there is more of a possibility of the characters being more like me. Especially when I read Shakespeare, most of the characters like Romeo and Juliet were young, around my age. So I think Lorca added youth so that younger people can feel more of a connection and get more involved to come to conclusions.

No comments:

Post a Comment