Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Journal #9

List of themes Lorca creates in the Blood Wedding

Nature and how it contrasts the characters
Nature plays a huge role in the Blood Wedding specifically the moon, and this interested me a lot because to me nature is something that is almost entirely out of our control so to see the characters trying to control each makes for an interesting story. The moon especially to me is just intriguing that I just want to sit and think about it more and more why Lorca chose it. And also why a woman is supposed to play it

Gender roles and their significance to the events that occur
Kind of going off of that last theme with nature is why the moon is supposed to be played by a woman. I guess thats one thing that I ignored previously which is who is playing the roles. Lorca could be sending a message with who gets casted. But anyways the theme part I think that Lorca is criticizing roles set by society in general not just the role women have and why as a result people die. Like it's the death of societal roles in some way

Age and it's effect on the character and the events
One of the interesting things to me was the use of vineyards and grapes to connect families, and from my understanding of wine the older the better, so I think that it is almost as if Lorca is trying to show that the elderly people in the play are better. Although some of the older characters do a lot of manipulating. So I don't really know where that is going but I think for sure the vineyards play into a theme of age and it's significance to the characters




No comments:

Post a Comment